Monday, October 14, 2013

Another board meeting night, another board meeting conflict...

In honor of Mr La Poll's attitude during the last Long Term Facilities discussion, I thought that this gif was apropos...
I'm not sure how this came to be, because I remember the LASD and BCS boards attempting to arrange their meetings to NOT conflict, but somehow they are again at the same day/time, so interested attendees had the option of choosing one meeting or the other. I believe that many folks attended the BCS board meeting, so I look forward to hearing about their board's unprofessional antics, but I choose to take my stress level down one notch and attend the LASD board meeting. After some great discussion about what was going on with STEM in the district, we got to the BCS portion of the agenda (always a highlight). I was quite surprised to hear one BCS parent stand up and lament the fact that her kids are in portables and don't have a cafeteria. Other than the fact that most of the kids in LASD are in the same boat (I know that mine at Oak are), we really need to get past these petty arguments/complaints about facilities, and the two boards need to reach an agreement. I was cautiously optimistic when there were two sets of board discussions going on simultaneously (one about short term facilities needs of BCS - i.e. younger kids at Blach, more flexibility to have their whole student body on one site more often, etc AND one about longer a longer term facilities agreement that would hopefully end this prop 39 groundhog day that we have all been suffering through). Unfortunately, the short term meetings appear to be awaiting BCS to respond with some data, and the long term meetings seem to be waiting for Mr La Poll to return in a couple of weeks. Given the fact that our progress seemed to be tenuous, at best, the lack of progress towards the end of last week and presumably this week is disheartening. Hopefully, people will take the high road, and agree to meet in public to hash things out. Otherwise, the prop 39 clock is ticking, and this may all be for naught this year :( At the LASD board meeting we did have another interesting discussion, about full-day kinder. I was actually excited, since I have an incoming kinder next year, but I was surprised at the number of parents who were against it. Hopefully the board can come up with a plan to meet the needs of both parents who want "less kinder, more play" for their kids, and those who are already exposing their kids to more schooling in preschool than LASD kinder is offering, and consider a half-day kinder to be a step back. Not saying that either side is right or wrong, but I do hope that the LASD board can come up with a plan to help everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment