Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Segregating Suburbia: A bi-coastal story

I grew up about an hour-ish away from Princeton, and I was completely oblivious to the existence of this "segregation", but perhaps it didn't exist 40 years ago.  As I think I've said before, I was aware of Public schools (which I attended), and Catholic schools (these were the only Private schools of which I knew) and I had friends who attended both.  In the end, they served different "customers", and were not "competing for resources".  Given what I have learned about Prop 39, I feel like it was a bit of a "bait and switch", because I felt like I was voting to reducing politicking and provide better school options where the current public options were failing (I was picturing "Waiting for Superman" in my head), but instead, I was subsidizing schools to compete with successful public schools, on an unfair playing field.

For those of us who may feel like we are involved in a never-ending local battle, this story below shows that these challenges exist on both coasts...
http://schoolfinance101.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/segregating-suburbia/

No comments:

Post a Comment